Thursday, November 27, 2008

Call of Duty World at War Review: Another WWII Game? C'mon Already

Activision has released the next Call of Duty a few weeks ago. November 11 (Remembrance Day) 2008 on all platforms. I only played the PC version so I don't really know whats the difference between the platforms besides the Wii version which you can use the Wii Zapper (not required) to play.

So as you can probably tell from the picture the game ONCE AGAIN takes place during World War 2. My first thought was "WHY? Do we really need THAT many WWII games?" Like the event was tragic and blah blah blah. But that's in the past I'm sick of using the Thompson and all those other old shitty guns. I want to use modern weapons, its something I could relate to better. Which is why Call of Duty: Modern Warfare was such an awesome game.

The developers for this game are Treyarch, these are NOT the guys who did CoD4 (Infinity Wards). The game uses the same engine though so pretty much the only thing that's going to be different is the storyline.

And guess what? It is. The mechanics as all the same. You still have to run around the map and now instead of shooting terrorists you get to shoot those Nazis, Wooo? You still have to watch for the grenade icon to come up and chuck the damn thing back at the enemy before the thing blows up in your face. The only thing I didn't like that much was the fact that I felt like I had to conserve my ammunition a lot. Like doesn't that kind of take the fun away when I want to just spray Nazi's with lead? What they have feelings now? And that I should only shoot them once? Stupid.
On the plus side, I guess with a lot of zombies games that were coming out (Left 4 Dead, Resident Evil 5) these guys at Treyarch felt like there was a need to put in a zombie game mode in the game. Which is kind of cool? This is how it goes, you and 3 other people (Computers or People Online) are stuck in this shitty house and Nazi Zombies are just flooding in from all directions and the goal is to simply see how long you can last. The developers said they got to Level 23? Sounds pretty intense. You can board up windows with planks of wood that are laying around to stop them from coming (temporarily) from certain windows and of course when all players die then its game over. And THAT'S pretty much the ONLY difference in the game. The voice acting, the game mechanics, ALL THE SAME just that the game takes place 60 years ago.

So there's not much to say about this game for a person who's played (The better and more Innovative when it came out) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. This game is NOT worth your money if you really like Call of Duty 4 but if you happen to love World War (1/2/3?) games then you'll probably enjoy this one. There's just nothing that really pulls people into it. I really hope Infinity Wards got the contract to make the next Call of Duty because, in my opinion, the franchise needs them to put something that makes people who usually don't play Call of Duty (Like me) to go and get it and play and enjoy it. A short blog for a game that I didn't joy very much and didn't expect much of.

No comments:

Post a Comment